Greater Manchester Police officer Farooq Ahmed, who sexually assaulted young girl jailed

Farooq Ahmed, who served in Tameside, walked into a station with a confession note

A Greater Manchester Police officer who repeatedly sexually assaulted a young girl has been jailed.

Farooq Ahmed, 37, walked into a police station with a confession note before Christmas. He’s now been jailed for two years.

GMP today confirmed to the Manchester Evening News action was being taken in line with regulations to dismiss him from the force.

It’s understood he remains suspended from duty.

Detectives said Ahmed’s ‘disgusting’ abuse has had a ‘profound’ impact on the victim.

Ahmed, from Mossley Road, Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside, is believed to have served with GMP in the Tameside area for around three years.

At around 8pm on November 26 last year, he handed himself in at GMP’s Central Park police station.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said he gave officers a note with a confession about sexually assaulting a child a few years earlier.

The victim was interviewed by specialist officers the following day – and detailed the abuse she suffered.

On one occasion Ahmed used a mobile phone to film himself sexually assaulting her, which he then deleted.

He was arrested, charged and appeared at Manchester and Salford magistrates court on December 4 last year.

The CPS said he pleaded guilty during that appearance to three counts of assaulting a girl aged under-13 by touching, and one count of making an indecent photograph of a child. The case was subsequently switched to the crown court.

The offences happened between April 2016 and April 2018.

Ahmed appeared at Manchester’s Minshull Street Crown Court on Tuesday, where he was jailed by judge Nicholas Clarke.

He was required to sign the sex offenders’ register and the judge also passed a Sexual Harm Prevention Order, which will last for five years.

GMP said Ahmed would be dismissed from the force at ‘the earliest opportunity’.

A force spokesperson told the M.E.N.: “GMP’s Professional Standards Branch is now taking action in line with the Police Regulations to seek the officer’s dismissal from the police service at the earliest opportunity.”

Detective Sergeant Zahid Latif, of GMP’s Oldham CID, said the girl was offered specialist police support throughout the investigation.

He said: “This was disgusting abuse of a young girl and it is important that justice has been served for the victim, who has been receiving support from specialist officers and partner agencies throughout this investigation.

“The victim has been at the heart of this case during the entirety of our investigation and we hope that she and her loved ones are able to take some comfort from the sentence.

“There is absolutely no place for abuse such as this in our society.

“Ahmed is now behind bars to consider his actions and the profound impact they have had on his victim.”



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.